Don’t forget to check 10+ Santorini car rental tips, from our experts. If you have decided that renting a car is the best solution to explore the island of Santorini, that is a wise choice. Definitely one of the best ( if not the best ) way to get around. For sure one of the most economical. Just a quick look at the prices of private transportation like taxis, is more than enough to realize that a short one way ride equals to a full days rental or more. Regardless if you booked your Santorini rental car with us ( hope you did 🙂 , we would like to share with you some tips, proved to be very usefull ! Take a minute and read the next lines. We ll add new tips in the future, as people share their thoughts and experiences with us. So stay tuned. Please share anything that future visitors might find usefull regarding car rental in Santorini, or any vehicle rentals. Your comments will be gladly added in this useful tips session !!
please share if you think our Santorini rent a car tips are helpfull 🙂
1. lets start right! You have booked your Santorini rental car, and its time to collect it. There is someone from the car rental company to help you with the paper work. Usually everything goes well and easy, after all Santorini is a very safe place to rent a car. Typically though, you should have a look around the car, and check for damages. Lately it’s common that many people even take pictures of the car when they start their rental, which is undoubtedly an excellent idea ! Our representatives suggest and encourage all our clients to get as many pictures of the car as they like during pick up procedure. This should be expected from any company. A different policy should not be accepted. .
2. Get familiar with the car. Ask the people that deliver the car, how to reverse. How to switch on the a/c, the window washers, or the headlights. Getting familiar with the car is very important. This way when you drive you wont have to search for any function.If you want to look for something ( for example the a/c or stereo ) while driving, is better to stop to the side of the road and do so.
3. Dont wait till the car is completely empty to put fuel. Santorini has many gas stations. They usually operate from 08:00 to 22:00 everyday ( some of them even on sundays ), so getting fuel is easy. Make sure you have enough fuel in the tank before 21:00 just in case. Its not pleasant to see the sunset in Oia,for example, have your dinner in a nice restaurant, and then at about 23:00 or 24:00 realize that there is not enough fuel in the car to go back to your hotel.
4. Dont drive off road. Santorini is a volcanic island, and if you drive off road is very likely that the car will get stuck as a result of the wheels sink in the sand. Also is possible to lose traction which is very dangerous. The road goes everywhere, to all the places you want to see, there is no need to go offroad.
5. Dont drive on the beach ! Driving on the beach is prohibited, not to mention not possible, as the car will get stuck immediately in the volcanic sand.
6. Got stuck? For somereason, you decided to drive on the beach or offroad, and now you are stuck. The car can not be moved..what should you do? The answer is to do nothing. If you try to move the car by pushing it or by accelerating you might cause a damage. Best thing to do is call the car rental company and they will help you.
7. The speed limit is 60 to 70 klms per hour on open roads and in villages there are signs indicated maximum speed.
8. Ofcource never drink and drive !!!!!
9. Start a bit earlier..When its time to leave Santorini, you might have to drive to the port or airport and return the car there. Make sure that you start a little bit earlier, just in case the road is busy.
10. Flat tire. Some guests might have never need to change a tire before…In that case you should again contact the rental company, and they will help you with that ( if you choose our office, we have a 24hr helpline as well..)
11. Parking the car. That is very easy. Santorini offers free parking areas almost everywhere. It would be wise to park in signposted parking areas when you are in Fira, Oia or Kamari. There are many of them and they are all free of charge. Be careful though not to park where it’s not allowed. That would most probably get you a fine, for which the driver in the rental agreement has the responsibility to pay for.
12. Don’t let plants or bushes to touch your car ! Driving very close to some kind of bushes could scratch the colour of your rental car, which by any company would be considered a damage….
13. Your car, your responsibility..Your hotel owner or receptionist, suggests some off road adventure to a private beach, only 15 minutes drive from the main road which is not too hard to get to !…Just remember that the rental car is your responsibility ..
14. Always wear your seat belts
15. Stay focus. During the summer months there are many vehicles on the road. Drivers should be extra careful and stop their vehicle before enjoying a nice view
16. Take advantage of the Santorini rent a car special offers, discounts or coupons. A price research before booking is a great way to stay in budget.
18. Have a sim card that works in Greece. Being able to make a call can be crucial, especially when on the road.
19. Know the fuel type of your rental car.
more tips to come!!!! 🙂
stay tuned! your favourite car rental in Santorini
www.santorini-rent-a-car.com cheap safe and easy !!